There has been a reoccurring theme in all of the mass shootings of the last 20 years. No it is not guns or divorced parents, it is something our society would like to ignore. All of the mass murderers were either actively taking extreme psychotropic drugs or had been previous to their murder. Drugs like Zoloft, Prozac, Paxil, Ritalin, Celexa, and Xanax have been found in the systems of these mass murders and suicides.
- One of the students involved in the Columbine high school shooting was on Zoloft.
- A kid, age 13, killed his favorite aunt while taking Prozac.
- An 11 year old, along with a 14 year old, both on Ritalin, shot 15 people killing 4 students, 1 teacher, and wounding 10.
- A girl, age 17, hung herself and was on Zoloft.
- An accomplished wrestler and university of Florida student, prescribed Prozac, committed suicide.
- A 15 year old on Paxil for 5 days, stabbed his grandmother 61 times
- A 13 year old hanged himself shorty after his Lexapro prescription had been doubled
- A 10 year old boy from Houston shot and killed his father after his Prozac dosage was increased
It certainly is a which came first, chicken or egg kind of situation. Were these kids mentally ill before they took the pills? Or did the pills make their illness worse? There is vast evidence that supports an over-prescribing epidemic in the US. Doctors throwing pills at patients who come in with symptoms that should be treated with non-pill methods. But, right now, the modus operandi is to give pills, try different pills, and then to pursue other methods.
Could Medical Drug Lobbyists have anything to do with this? Doctors are writing more prescriptions than meter maid write tickets, and there are many documented cases of pharmaceutical companies paying for doctors to go to “information meetings” at lavish resorts in exotic locations.. Practically paying for their vacations.
Meanwhile, marijuana is still considered a schedule 1 drug, meaning it has zero recognized medical uses..what a joke.
These drugs do indeed help a lot of people and I am not saying at all that every psychologist is at fault. However, the prescriptions they are writing can definitely play a role in these mass shootings. Some pills may exacerbate the problem, while some pills may have prevented some mass-shootings. The problem is the rate of prescription, where unnatural substances produced in a lab are, far and away, the primary, sometimes only, way we deal with mental problems. Throwing synthetic substances down the throats of our youth, when we can only try to qualify the side-effects (they are too numerous and differentiated to truly understand and predict), has obvious negative results. Combine this with the lack of gun control in much of the US and we have a recipe for disaster. Many factors are involved in these mass shootings, but this one should be solvable. Drug companies spend a lot on lobbying so they pretty much are the FDA, but changes are going to have to be made if this trend continues.